Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Jarhead

Saw it last night in a surprisingly full theatre. I was, quite frankly, disappointed.

The creators of this movie took on an uphill task by producing another film whose message is: “Once you create these killing machines you have to do something with them.” This is of course in the same vein as those great Vietnam movies Apocalypse Now, Platoon, and Good Morning Vietnam. Definitely stiff competition. Blaming the fact that wars post-Vietnam all seem to suck (movie-wise) was a somewhat convincing defense until Blackhawk Down firmly changed that pattern.

The movie’s structural similarity to Full Metal Jacket (edgy, funny first half and surreal in-country second half) created a comparison that Jarhead could not hope to win.

Other than Jamie Foxx the acting is tinny or over-the-top and there is a total lack of plot. Jarhead is neither exciting nor compelling.

In other news, stay the hell away from The Pilot (a pub/sports bar on Cumberland just west of Yonge). We went there for a post-movie beer and found the place almost totally empty despite the Leafs game on just about every wall in the joint. I know it was Tuesday but other bars like the Duke or Hemingway’s have been pretty full on similar nights. Just as I was speculating on why this place could be so very unpopular one of my companions points to the ground with a look on his face that I know all too well. Sure enough ten metres away there was a vile, pestilent mouse.

5 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Yeah, The Pilot sucks, but I thought Jarhead was good.

Furthermore, it's the middle of the afternoon!! What the hell are you doing blogging at the office? You're a government employee. As a taxpayer, I'm mighty pissed and insist that you buy me a beer to even things out.

Zoot

4:25 PM  
Blogger Rhetoric said...

Every federal employee is entitled to two fifteen breaks each day.

What I want to know is how often you have been checking my mainly dormant blog (at least over the past couple of months) that you noticed my first post in weeks so quickly.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Jason Cherniak said...

After seeing the previews with nothing other than a driving beat, I don't know why you expected anything else.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Katharine said...

It's this kind of silly, three way banter that I miss.

Can't we all just be friends?

Hell we should get CK in on this 2007 thread.

AND, for the record, I enjoyed Jarhead.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Carruthers said...

"Three way banter"? A little heavy-handed there don't you think "Katharine"?

Let's here *why* you did like Jarhead.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home