Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Blogging Affiliations

It seems to have grown popular to talk widely on Can-pol blogs about either joining partisan or non-partisan groups of blogs, or starting your own. I've considered joing Blogging Tories because well, I am a Tory who blogs. Problem is that once the election is over my focus will definitely shift from 80% politics to something like 8% politics. Still may happen--not sure yet though.

The one group I have decided to join is the Red Ensign Brigade of blogging Canadians. Here is the reason given by Ben Sharma who frequently comments on and is linked from a friend's blog. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that all one needs do to join is "fly" a red ensign and link to that post on ghostofaflea?

My reasoning is very similar to Ben's--I fly the red ensign for reasons of nostalgia and respect for the values that were represented by Canada when it was still our unofficial official flag. I entirely understand that there are a lot of aspects of our society that have been bettered since 1965 and don't in any way want to align myself with racism or foolish reactionary hyper-conservatism.

The Maple Leaf Forever! God Save the Queen!

Update: Mea Culpa. Seems that the Red Ensign Brigade is a bit more selective than I thought. In order to join an email must be sent to the organiser. All is well now, though.

Second Update: I've now implemented the Red Ensign blogroll as part of my site's template. I really like this script from the good people at flooble.com. Granted visitors to the site have to go to a little extra effort (clicking on the little "+" sign) to see the blogroll but I think this far outweighs the negatives of three-screen long blogrolls that crowd each other out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Make sure you send an email to The Raging Kraut at ragingkraut@yahoo.ca

He'll take care of getting you added to the actual blogroll.

And may I be the first to say: Welcome to the Brigade!

10:08 PM  
Blogger The Tiger said...

And that blogroll might be nice to have on your site. :-)

Welcome aboard!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Rhetoric said...

Thanks guys. I was just working getting the blogroll up as you made the comment. I really, really, like this whole fooble expanding text script. I actually found it from another Red Ensign blog: doxology.

1:57 PM  
Blogger The Tiger said...

H'm... I'm going to have to look at using that one, once I move over to my re-launched blog this summer...

All these interesting things...

2:29 PM  
Blogger John the Mad said...

Welcome to the Brigade. I have fond memories of the stubby.

Can't remember whether I ever flung one into a lake, so I can't comment on its ballistic properties. I do remember blasting them with a rifle and a pistol. They burst well under those condition. Somewhere there is a piece of Canada that will forever be my litter.

(To paraphrase Scottie from Star Trek. "Damn it Jim I'm a policy wonk, not a saint.")

12:24 AM  
Blogger Dominicans resources said...

::FREE BLOGS AND FREE WORDPRESS BLOG HOSTING - CREATE UNLIMITED BLOGS NOW ALL FREE ::

Free audio blogging hosting speicalist

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home